Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:54:47 -0700
From:
"Earl Johnson, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Nolene,

  I tend to be in agreement with you and because of that, have cut back on the number of AIIM webinars I attend (I am a member but may not renew).  I attended my first AIIM conference in Boston a few months back and was also somewhat disappointed in the experience.  First, there seemed to be a lack of logistical communication and organization in just trying to find my way around (although the meeting rooms were marked with their respective topics, I never saw a map or directory, directional signs, nor could I identify any conference person  to ask).  When going to hear the first keynote speakers, I pretty much followed a large group in hoping that they were going there too because there were no directions or signage.

  Some sort of session for first time attendees in identifying what to expect would've been very helpful for me.  I've attended many ARMA conferences, so I tend to compare AIIM to ARMA, and truth is, there's no comparison--at least not in first impressions.  I know that ARMA offers a session for first time attendees, although they didn't when I attended my first conference back in the mid-1980's.  Not sure what's in the ARMA first time attendees session, but AIIM may want to consider something similar.

  Since this was my first AIIM conference, maybe it would a little easier for me next time--assuming I go to another one.  Basically, it was way too much focus on trying to sell me something that I am still trying to figure out and learn more about, and not enough [entry level] focus on content.

  On another separate-but related note, it reminds me of a data retention and archiving seminar I went to a few weeks ago (not sponsored by AIIM), where one of the main speakers implied that records were a "subset" of documents.  This was his explanation to justify using the term "document retention," which I questioned (politely of course).  I also challenge his explanation (again, politely), but got no where.  I suspect that the room was IT central, so there was no other RM support (at least no one else spoke up).  Just makes me realize just how much more work there is to do....

  I may get flamed for some of these comments, but that's okay.  Flamed or not, these are still my first impressions of AIIM, and I doubt I'm alone in my initial reactions.

  Good question, I'll be interested in hearing other comments.

  Earl

Earl Johnson, Jr.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message--including attachments, may contain confidential or proprietary information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.  The views expressed here are mine, and mine alone.