Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:27:54 -0400
From:
Taina Makinen <[log in to unmask]>
On 8/18/08, Annetta Dunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We are working on standard definitions of procedures, guidelines, guidance,
> information notes, etc.  So if anyone can offer "guidance" ;) we would be
> truly grateful!

Hi Annetta,

Here are some definitions that might help you distinguish between the two.

Note that "guidance" also has a financial connotation (i.e. prediction
of future performance, often expressed as earnings per share). If you
want to use that term in more than one context, you should craft your
definitions carefully in order to avoid ambiguity and confusion.

GUIDELINE
* Non-mandatory, supplemental information about acceptable methods for
implementing requirements found in directives, processes, procedures,
work instructions, etc.
http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/policy/definitions.asp

* A written statement or outline of a policy, practice or conduct.
Guidelines may propose options to enable a user to satisfy provisions
of a code, standard, regulation or recommendation.
www.mbmi.biz/building/terms

GUIDANCE
* Documentation. Glossaries, templates, examples, and tool mentors are
examples of guidance.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-term2/

Regards,
Taina Makinen