Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:57:10 -0400
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:24:25 -0700, L Carpenter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I was curious about something I heard today from an offsite storage vendor.
>The vendor indicated that some records centers are  stacking and storing 4
>boxes high. It was also indicated that 4 high is "industry standard".
>
>I'm currently without my copy of the Robeck et all book, the ARMA records
>center handbook, and, of course the ARMA Records Storage Task Force
>documentation. But, I don't recall that 4 high has ever been an industry
>"standard".  Maybe when items are on pallets and shrink wrapped, 4 high may
>be "standard" (e.g. 40 per pallet), but in terms of items stored on
>shelves, I'm recalling that the optimum is no more than 3 high on shelves,
>but that 2 high is preferable.

Well Laurie-

I can tell you from personal experience, having operated more than 4
in-house record centers and also having offered record storage commercially
while I was consulting, 4-high is not a good business practice unless you're
trying to maximize your profits as an operator, and the records are those
that are EXTREMELY INFREQUENTLY accessed.

In support of this, I went out to Google Images and did a search, wso this
is completely unbiased, and I harvested all of the images I found on the
first 22 pages of rack storage of boxed records... and of 25 located, only
one stored at 4 high, and that was in one bay of a unit only.  So I wouldn't
say that 4% represents a "standard" in this industry.

http://snipurl.com/4tao8  [images_google_com]
http://snipurl.com/4tap5  [www_lkgoodwin_com]
http://business-record-storage123.com/
http://www.movebisson.com/images/docsecurity/dsw11.jpg
http://snipurl.com/4taru  [www_rousseaumetal_com]
http://snipurl.com/4tast  [www_pragermoving_com]
http://long-term-record-storage.com/images/d.jpg
http://www.archives.gov/preservation/images/boxed-records.jpg
http://www.madelogix.com/files/images/RecordStorage.png
http://snipurl.com/4tawb  [www_recordstoragerack_com]
http://www.corriganrecords.com/images/100_0580.jpg
http://www.maxlokstorage.com/MaxLOK/Box-Storage.jpg
http://www.movestore.com/Racked%20Box%20Storage.JPG
http://allstorageproducts.com/racks/record_storage.gif
http://www.prestigemoving.com/images/Records.jpg
http://www.bpp-llc.com/images/record%20boxes.JPG
http://www.averyarchives.com/images/record_storage.jpg
http://www.alltypedata.com/images/warehouse.jpg
http://www.totalrecords.com.au/img/records_storage.jpg
http://www.greatlakesrecordstorage.com/graphics/warehouse.jpg
http://www.anchorarchives.com/images/racking-records-box.jpg
http://www.mabeys.com/storage/business%20image1.jpg
http://www.kenwoodrecords.com/images/aboutPhoto.jpg
http://www.information-storage.com/img/offsite0.jpg
http://www.recordstorage.com/images/Morn_meeting.jpg

As a principal member of the NFPA 232 Standards Committee, and a former
Chair (and member) of the ARMA Standards Development Committee and
Co-Project Maanger of the ARMA "Guideline for Evaluating Offsite Records
Storage Facilities"
http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=2220  I can tell
you this is anything BUT a standard practice.

There have been comments submitted by others related to the fire safety
issues, and I CERTAINLY won't discount those.  I also won't agree or
disagree with the comments about dense pack vs. less dense pack, telephone
books vs. loose sheets, flue spaces vs. back-to-back storage (even though
NFPA 13 and NFPA 232 require them), new sprinkler designs that will
obviously help mitigate loss, (but how many vendors will retrofit to install
them?) but I would like to mention other concerns, such as floods, hurricane
force winds, earthquakes, floor loading, live load issues with fewer cross
members in shelving, etc. for consideration as well.

Larry