Sender:
From:
Theodore B Hanousek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:02:43 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I'm the newbie here with my 1st posting (I'm Ted - hiya). My employer, Syracuse University, just
officially created the Records Manager position which was previously done by the University
Archivist. In making his case for this position, he stated that this job has gotten too big and
needs a dedicated person focusing on records.

The differences between the 2 areas is interesting and baffling at the same time. Since I've
only been here under 3 months, my thinking is for-profit
ie opportunity cost, cost-benefit, what are the $$ involved, structured responses, chain-of-
command. Prior to this position I haven't been in a place where much value was placed on CRM and
other certifications. As long as the results were accomplished (bottom line that sucker), who
cares if you are certified, we aren't gong to pay you more for that anyway. In the academic
setting, credentials and published works carry weight. If you don't have them, you just don't
have alot of pull.

This large University 12,000 students it's quite departmentalized with a fiefdom mentality.
There is the human touch involved here with lots of face time, collaboration is valued highly.
This is where the flattening of information and disseminating it out is a form of academic
freedom and the reason for its existence. Most decisions that strike as "coming from on high" or
"from the administration" ie "the man (or the woman)" is suspect which presents challenges to
moving the whole organization in the same direction.

Having said all that, I'am excited about being in the this new field of higher education. The
ability to interact with all departments, the potential impact of my views on the whole, the
freedom of movement, and the encouraging environment to pursue certifications and additional
education is fantastic.

So, I don't know if I enhanced the thread in any way but that's my 2 cents.
Take care.

Ted Hanousek
Records Manager
Syracuse University