Sender:
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 21:28:15 +1000
From:
Jenny Evans <[log in to unmask]>
On 4/10/2012 12:34 AM, Patrick Cunningham wrote:
> For those of us who do write the occasional article for a professional association, we generally give up the rights to that publication.
This opens up a real can of worms and the ongoing debate and move
towards open source journals because of the greed of publishers, who
take your intellectual property, and charge you to access your own
articles. There is a growing movement among academic and other
researchers in public organisations towards publication in open access
journals, and for researcher identification to be in the same domain.
South Africa made the move some time ago to open source journals. Other
countries are moving in the same direction.

One of the biggest issues is that a lot of research in Australia, cannot
speak for other countries, is publicly funded. The research findings and
data should be available for use, and reuse in an innovative economy.
Why should the public pay for the research in the first place and then
pay again to access it through a publisher?

Jenny Evans