Sender:
From:
Roger Hamperian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:06:48 -0500
Chris Flynn said:

" Geez Glen, next week see if you can't come up with a more upbeat
"Friday Pondering". Maybe something like, if Turkey were not the
traditional main course for Thanksgiving dinner, what would be? No doubt
someone will Google the answer."

I don't have to Google this one. I learned the answer many years ago
listening to what is arguably the greatest comedy album of all time -
Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America Volume One: The Early
Years. If you can't find it anywhere else, it's probably on YouTube.
Anyway, in the pertinent track, Miles Standish or one of the Pilgrim
fathers is berating the cook at the first Thanksgiving over a screw up
in the kitchen. I don't remember the dialogue exactly, but it goes
something like this, "Jeez Charley, you put our National Bird IN the
oven! How could you do such a thing? Well, the two birds were just
sitting there side by side... What are we going to do now? Everyone's
sitting out there with their mouth set for roast Eagle!"

The rest, of course, is history.

Roger Hamperian, CRM, MSLS

Lexington, KY