Sender:
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:32:22 -0600
Here is the key graph from the Krebs article
"It's not immediately clear why Target would have given an HVAC company
external network access, or why that access would not be cordoned off from
Target's payment system network. But according to a cybersecurity expert at
a large retailer who asked not to be named because he did not have
permission to speak on the record, it is common for large retail operations
to have a team that routinely monitors energy consumption and temperatures
in stores to save on costs (particularly at night) and to alert store
managers if temperatures in the stores fluctuate outside of an acceptable
range that could prevent customers from shopping at the store."

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA IGP
Dallas, Texas