Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 17:38:32 +0000
From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I rarely comment on articles being shared via this listserv.  However, in
this instance I was astonished to read this description of eDiscovery in
the beginning of the article: "E-discovery allows companies to identify
information assets, which enables them to establish governance policies.²
He doesnıt say anything about litigation, attorneys, or meet-and-confers.

While I absolutely believe that eDiscovery, and its high cost to
organizations, helps build the business case for good governance, the
author of this article demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of
eDiscovery, including that itıs a component of the overall legal discovery
process, which Wikipedia describes as ³ Š the pre-trial phase in a lawsuit
in which each party, through the law of civil procedure, can obtain
evidence from the opposing party by means of discovery devices including
requests for answers to interrogatories, requests for production of
documents, requests for admissions and depositions.²

By ignoring the legal raison dıêtre for eDiscovery, the author does a
disservice to his readers.