From:
Tim Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:02:42 -0400
Greetings,

We at the City of Portland Archives and Records Management Division, with
help from our technology services bureau, are preparing to run a pilot to
test MS Exchange's Messaging Records Management (MRM) functionality as
a way to manage email based on the federal Capstone approach.  We're
running Exchange 2016 on the web.

Briefly, with MRM, you can create a set of default retention policies, one of
which gets applied to a user's Outlook mailbox. Each policy is made up of a
combination of up to 3 different retention "tags".  There's an overall default
tag that applies to all folders unless it is overridden by one of the other
kinds of tags.  So, a simplified example policy can consist of a 3 year purge
on your Sent Items and all your user-created folders, but 2 years on the
Inbox and 90 days on Deleted Items.

On paper it sounds like it will work for us and we're trying it out on a few
dummy accounts before starting a larger pilot.

Now to the questions.  Is anyone using the Exchange MRM functionality
either with a single policy or a set of policies? If multiple, did you apply the
policies using Outlook distribution lists or in some other manner?  Overall,
is it working as expected?

If anyone is willing to share their experiences it would be greatly
appreciated and we'll do the same down the road.

Thanks.

Tim Hunt