From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 23:10:10 -0500
Hey, Steve Whitaker! It's been a while.  I suggest you re-read David
Ferriero's blog post and also check the chronology on the National Archives
website of the Archivists' tenures.  Allen Weinstein resigned in December
2008, negotiations regarding his departure reportedly occurred in the
summer of 2008.  That the Federal Records Act preserved records for such a
case would not yet all be available publicly reflects the general
sensitivity of investigative records.  As a RM, you'll understand that, of
course.  (Side note on the RM angle:  let's just say, I've worked way more
Presidential Records Act and Federal Records Act party transfer of power
transition periods during my, um, long, career than it's prudent to mention
here!)

My advice?  Wait to see what happens with David Ferriero's request that OIG
and the FBI release public versions of the records in question. Of this I
am sure:  Ferriero's request as AOTUS for public release of the records is
integrity-based, as is his mission and workplace focus.  David is an
honorable person who handles tremendous challenges pf being Archivist
extremely well. And does adulting super well. Classy guy. (I say that
knowing that "Strange Brew" is his favorite movie. He actually blogged
about that!)  Of course, NARA is a nonpartisan agency, a fascinating place
for me to work in and observe, and one whose badge I am proud to wear.  I
wish that same pride for everyone in their workplaces!

TL; DR version:  Patience regarding evidence will serve everyone well
here.  Best to stand by.  Even if you do "hate paper."  (I enjoyed our on
and off list chats here back in the day, Steve.  Are you retired (again) or
still working in your un-retirement?)

Be well, good to hear from you.  You will be glad to hear I am doing well!
If you're ever in Washington, stop by to see our "Remembering Vietnam"
exhibit.  Or if you're in Washington the weekend of February 17-19, we'll
have the Emancipation Proclamation on special display in the National
Archives' museum.  I'll be working that holiday weekend (Saturday, Sunday,
Monday) to support the National Archives' museum staff, as I did on
Veterans' Day observed.  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=mHOCBbVJ14E-NCQhi01CNC8AJ92EkfVdYPa9NsXjZmA&s=OGmuqh2_E0d4MMmhywbbpJXO1CAi7guASL_G_flqCUM&e=
.wardress.com/2017/11/16/welcome-home/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_2017_11_16_welcome-2Dhome_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=mHOCBbVJ14E-NCQhi01CNC8AJ92EkfVdYPa9NsXjZmA&s=bqotz-AO0GPqxrl13rzqWz7apDzuwcGw2nnc150y8F0&e=>  It
would be great to meet you in person, Steve, if you ever come visit our
NARA research room or museum!

I love paper and electronic records!  How's that for nonpartisan
acculturation?

Back to my glass of Prosecco and my history book!  Cheers!

Maarja
Washington, DC
@ArchivesMaarja
Blog:  Archival Explorations https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=mHOCBbVJ14E-NCQhi01CNC8AJ92EkfVdYPa9NsXjZmA&s=DkNa_vL5IGBK7JxS1vUPXYsbABQdEQFVR4jytloNQnE&e=