From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:24:37 -0500
Hah, hope retirement works for you this time, Steve!  If you do come to DC before March
2019, check out our Vietnam exhibit at NARA.  I'd be happy to walk you through it.  There's
a related "Honor a Vietnam Vet" campaign to which people can contribute.  You'll see on a
screen by the exhibit the names of two of my Vietnam Vet NARA colleagues (Frederick
Graoboske, Christopher Beam) with my name as a donor.

I make an effort to be included on the daytime and evening staffing roster for as many of
our Vietnam related public programs as I can. Depending on the day, we do book talks
(many based on Federal or Presidential records in our archival holdings) and panels (such as
the one with the North Carolina Vietnam helicopter pilots) at noon or at 7 p.m.  These are
the ones I helped staff on opening day for the exhibit:
https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/2017/11/16/welcome-home/#jp-carousel-1364
or shortened link http://bit.ly/2siPZpc

My Mom and my sister (now both deceased) and I attended the dedication of the Wall in
1982; very moving.

I've talked to the Archivist, David Ferriero, about his time in the Navy, including in Vietnam
(Da Nang and later aboard the U.S.S. Sanctuary), and the first time he visited the Wall.
David ensured that the Vietnam War anniversary be marked with a records and oral history
interview based exhibit at NARA.  He's very insightful, not a glory hog, mission oriented,
and handles adversity well.

On the Weinstein thing, stay tuned.  I heard around the time Weinstein retired in December
2008 from a couple of middle management level friends that there was an internal NARA
investigation about some of his employee related actions and that Weinstein retired as a
result of the investigation.  Needless to say, I didn't see any of the NARA investigative
records; those have been close held properly, as required.

Having spent a career working in records, I understand the First Party, Third Party Privacy
Act and FOIA issues, of course. You saw at David Ferriero's blog that he referred to a First
Party Privacy Act lawsuit. (I'm glad the primary victim came forward; that took a lot of
courage.)  I'll post here when the public versions of OIG and FBI materials that the Archivist
has asked for release become available.

Since you hate paper, you'll be glad to hear that a government history book I've just
finished writing as a Fed is slated primarily for electronic publishing, not a big print run in
hardcover or paperback!

Take care,

Maarja
Washington, DC