From:
Christopher Ferry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:31:16 -0400
A challenge for the list.

 April 5, 2008:<http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archives.html?y=2008&m=April&d=5>We
Need A Librarian, Stat![image:
Stack o' Games] <http://www.sjgames.com/ill/img/2008/library.jpg>

As you can see, a (nearly) three-decade accumulation of games can create
quite a stack. Okay, you can't actually see the problem in this one
photograph. We've got boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes.

What we really need is a system of organization, which would allow us to
quickly and easily reference what we've got, where it is, what condition
it's in, and so on. Unfortunately, "lay everything out in the warehouse so
we can see them all at once" isn't an option. We'll be shelving them. And
before we just go "alpha by publisher, and the ones that are too big for the
shelves will all get stacked together somewhere," we thought we'd ask for
some advice.

We don't want to re-invent the wheel, and we want the collection to be as
functional as possible; certainly it would be a potential academic resource
if it were searchable. So if you hold a degree in library science, or are
working in a library, we'd like your recommendations. Is there a software
solution, or even a set of accepted standards and practices, for the
specific issue of organizing and cataloguing *games*? If you know something
that *we* need to know, drop a note to Shadlyn at [log in to unmask]
-- Paul Chapman <[log in to unmask]>