From:
Andrew Ysasi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2013 14:44:19 +0000
For what it is worth, I just came back from the annual PRISM conference and learned quite a bit about how offsite companies are positioning themselves for tape storage/usage.  Below is a snapshot of how LTFS could impact the RIM world.

1.  LTFS (Linear Tape File System) created by IBM is being touted by some as strong archival replacement compared to traditional backup tapes.  Furthermore, the storage costs of accessing data from the tape is far cheaper than spinning disk storage, and retrieval speed has increased significantly over the years from magnetic tape.  The concept of accessing a shared drive or folder with data stored on a tape is advantageous to some.  "Data tapes written in the LTFS Format can be used independently of any external database or storage system allowing direct access to file content data and file metadata." - Wikipedia - LTFS

2.  LTFS is not without its limitations, such as not supporting encrypted files and directories, compression of files within a folder, and access control list concerns when using NTFS data.

More on NTFS on LTFS can be found here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/ltfs/cust/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.storage.hollywood.doc%2Fltfs_unsupported_ntfs_features.html

On one hand LTFS could be a great solution for archiving data with similar retention requirements, on the other hand it could be a nightmarish situation for managing large volumes of unencrypted data with limited security features once a user has access.

If anyone from IBM is listening it would be great to hear more about LTFS and its possible impact on the data backup/archival world.

If I came late to the party I apologize...I'm more of a watcher than poster.

Regards,

Andrew Ysasi, MSA, CRM, PMP, CIPP/US
Executive Director
Kent Record Management, Inc.

1950 Waldorf NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49544
616-459-6681 (Office)
616-822-8887 (Mobile)
616-459-6766 (Fax)
http://www.kentrecords.com
STORE | SCAN | SHRED

Michigan Locations in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, and Benton Harbor.

Disclaimer: This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Kent Record Management Inc.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.  Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.