From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:56:39 -0500
Earl's comments are excellent.
The only thing that I would add is:

I find it very useful to have the FAQ first. In my experience most
people don't casually browse a RIM site.  Rather, they seek specific
info to answer a question. They really don't care if they are "welcomed"
or that you have team of dedicated smiling professionals there to serve
the good of the people. They need to know "Can I throw this away?" And
they need to know it now.

I did not have an intranet at UCSC, so the web site that is available at
http://iam.ucsc.edu was our "intranet" and our public web. Noting that
we were serving 3 audiences (public, staff, professors) with one web
site
I modified the FAQ approach into more of a visitor-based list.  I was
never happy with that, but it was the compromise I had to make at the
time. I still prefer the FAQ on the right side, at the top. (If we did
have a records center, there would be a spot for it)

Please note that while it is critical to put the retention schedule on
the intranet, it is very important that the retention schedule be
user-friendly and up-to-date. Throwing up a huge list of arcane
terminology and befuddling abbreviations will only earn you the ire of
those you want to win over.  You must use the language of the user (This
is now being called "folksonomy" in some circles).

An example of a well meaning, but difficult to use, retention schedule
is at UC http://www.ucop.edu/recordsretention/search.html.  There are
some 1300 citations and it covers the entire spectrum of the University
information world. It can be very useful, IF you know the language of
RIM and of the historical lexicon of the business administration of the
University. However, if you are a front line admin trying to figure out
how long to keep something it falls short. In this example UC has put
together a nice first step, it just needs a good dose of user feedback
and subsequent improvement.

 Rather than going into exhaustive detail here, I recommend the books
"Information Architecture" by Rosenfeld & Morville and "Don't Make Me
Think" by Krug.  Krug's book is much easier to read.

Chuck Piotrowski
Corporate Records Manager
CVPS