From:
Gerry van Houten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:01:44 -0500
I agree with Elizabeth. She has summarized the concept of function, and why
a functions-based classification system is better than other systems, very
nicely and very succinctly. At the Archives of Ontario (which advises the
Government of Ontario on records management issues as well as providing
archival services), we have undertaken the very laborious task of defining
the three highest levels of functions in the Government of Ontario --
ministry (= department in many places), program (i.e., a group of broadly
related services) and service.

There are a number of advantages to a functions-based system. The following
immediately come to mind but there are others.

1. Records organized by functions are less likely to be subject to the
vagaries of politics provided that the nomenclatures for the functions are
developed to reflect the function -- not the formal name of the
organization. For example, under the previous provincial government, there
was an organization called SuperBuild that reported to the Ministry of
Finance. When the present government came to power, it became a full-fledged
independent ministry called the Ministry of Public Infrastructure Renewal.
Because this function develops policies and programs for the development of
public infrastructures, our working nomenclature is "public
infrastructures."

2. A functional approach takes into account the sharing of programs and
services by more than one organization. There are several programs and
services in the Government of Ontario that are shared between ministries and
between different organizations within ministeries. When the present
government came to power it split the Ministry of Community, Family and
Children's Services into two ministries, one for children'services and one
for community and social services. I'm sure everyone out there in the
records management universe realizes that there must be community and social
services that are geared toward children. So it comes as no surprise that
these two ministries share a number of services. Another example is a
service called "nutrient management" that is shared by the Ministry of
Agriculture and Food and the Minstry of the Environment.

3. As Elizabeth quite rightly points out, organizing records around a
business process independently of its place in the organization's formal
structure facilitates the movement of the function's records within the
recorkeeping system when organizational change takes place.

We can't do much about what the politicians decide to do with or to their
public service but we can strive to make the public service's recordkeeping
systems as flexible and as adaptable as possible to the changing political
landscape while maintaining the system's relative stability. Change is
inevitable but change around a functions-based classification scheme is, in
my mind, much more manageable.

The really tough part for us will be to persuade the public service to
change over to a functions-based system. This will be a very difficult task
because we are faced with a decades-old habit of recordkeeping based along
organizational lines.