From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:03:37 -0700
"The creation of a Business Classification Scheme (BCS) is first cab off the
rank. Before we can create a quality BCS we first must have a Controlled
Vocabulary (VC) or whatever term you prefer e.g. Thesaurus, Taxonomy or Ontology
or whatever appropriate terminology in place or that we apply, then one can
NEVER have a totally 100% effective and efficient Records and Information
Management (RIM) system that meets the requirements of the International Records
Management Standards ISO 15489 or World Best Practice."

Laurie, I usually do agree with much of what you say but the above statement is
just plain WRONG.

Section 9.5.3 of ISO15489.1 re vocabulary controls states that " Classification
systems and indexes MAY be supported by vocabulary controls that are suited to
the complexity of an organization".   Doesn't say "should" ... just says "may".
There is also no mention of thesaurus in the ISO15489.1 Standard.

ISO15489.2 Guidelines / Technical Report provides but ONE methodology of
employing the ISO standard.  Here, Sections 4.2.3.1 and 4.2.3.2  do refer to the
use of a thesaurus.  Also Section 4.3.4.2 also refers to vocabulary controls and
by extension a thesaurus.

It takes a pretty big leap of faith to get to ...  "BCS + a controlled
vocabulary" are necessary for an organization to meet the ISO 15489 standard.

Also I still remain supportive of the hybrid approach to classification schema
outlined in Malcolm Todd's October 2003 article posted on the UK archives
website.  I think that functional schema often aren't.  Use functional analysis
by all means to ensure that all business processes are captured by a schema but
be wary of applying functional models everywhere especially in areas such as
research; engineering; project management; policy development etc.  I think I
will just wait for "semantic technology" to be introduced before I try to warp
everything into one specific model.

However,  I agree that Termtree and Interm CFS, are cool software products if
you are really into thesauri.  One to One also looks promising as a bridge to
ECM applications.

Regards
Jim

Jim Connelly