From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:39:45 -0800
When it comes to adopting Records Management standards, I'd prefer to
allow
those who fail to implement such standards and practices to earn their
"just
deserts" in the courts system.

Yes but then the courts are doing our work. We should tell the courts
what is best practice and seize the role.

Come on Chris ... think about it ... a legal mandate to require every
entity
in the world to meet the RM ISO standard.  Then you have to establish a
government entity to monitor/audit compliance.  However, since it would
be a
world wide requirement, perhaps the United Nations could be expanded as
the
oversight group for auditing purposes.  Peter ... help me....

Peter ain't gonna save you here.

Start with Australia. Start with the U.S. Start with EEC. Just start.
Define what a Record is. Define the practices for managing information
correctly. Enforce compliance.

International requirements are problematic in the legal and medical
professions. We have yet to even get to that point in information
management. Until we do we will remain at the mercy of other information
management "groups" that are willing to define reality. This is not
restricted computer professionals, but also includes lawyers,
legislators, business managers, etc.

Nature abhors a vacuum. If we don't fill it someone less qualifies will

Chris Flynn