From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:55:24 -0500
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:39:45 -0800, Chris Flynn
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> International requirements are problematic in the legal and medical
> professions. We have yet to even get to that point in information
> management. Until we do we will remain at the mercy of other information
> management "groups" that are willing to define reality. This is not
> restricted computer professionals, but also includes lawyers,
> legislators, business managers, etc.
>
> Nature abhors a vacuum. If we don't fill it someone less qualifies will

unfortunately a vacuum doesn't exist here. The problem lies with the
fact that all information professionalsl speak the same language it's
just that there words have different meanings.
Archive is the classis term. IT folks see it as sending data to tape
or some other media, while archivists/RMs see it differently.

Attorneys speak of document retention while we speak of records
retention. Why? because attorneys want individual documents while we
group individual documents into series.

Look how long it took for double entry bookkeeping to become fully
accepted by the business world.

pak