From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:06:36 -0800
unfortunately a vacuum doesn't exist here. The problem lies with the
fact that all information professionalsl speak the same language it's
just that there words have different meanings.

Language is an issue. It an essential subset of what we are discussing.
Rest assured when folks started working on the E-Sign act records
Managers were not the first or last consulted.

Archive is the classis term. IT folks see it as sending data to tape
or some other media, while archivists/RMs see it differently.

Attorneys speak of document retention while we speak of records
retention. Why? because attorneys want individual documents while we
group individual documents into series.

Because we let them define the terms. We hold back and wait to see what
the courts will say. They might end up disagreeing with us or dismissing
us but they will have to think about it and provide a reason.

Look how long it took for double entry bookkeeping to become fully
accepted by the business world.

Yes Peter it took a while. However, Flight, computers, cars, thought are
now moving forward at a drastically faster pace. Look at the post I put
out a couple of days ago on the relationship of IT and RM. We need to
embrace the change and control the direction or someone else faster and
better will do it instead.

laissez faire Records Management is not the answer.

Chris Flynn