From:
Grahame Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:07:37 +0800
I don't claim to be very experienced or knowledgeable (but don't tell my
employers), and I'm probably about to prove it.

I'm opposed to controlled vocabularies and implementing a full-blown
thesaurus approach being mandatory.  I've been in RM for a while, I've seen
Keyword for Council (by NSW SRO) and thought about controlled vocabularies a
bit.  I don't think going the whole way with a thesaurus is necessary,
especially in the electronic world, and even more so in small organisations.

Maybe the Kimberley is very remote and we are too different, or like to
think we are, but we've created our own system here that's bits and pieces
of other systems but works for us.  If a different person was in my position
I imagine things would be done differently (and probably better) but I think
that controlled vocabularies require too much effort for too little benefit
in my environment.

I would only support it becoming mandatory if WA State Records provided a
controlled vocabulary with it that could suit our needs fairly easily, e.g.
a greatly revised Keyword for Councils to suit all WA local governments.

Grahame Gould
Information Co-ordinator
Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley
Phone: (08) 9168 4100
Fax: (08) 9168 1798
Web: www.thelastfrontier.com.au

This email may contain confidential information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender.
The views expressed in this email may or may not be the official position of
the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley.