From:
Lorie Mcaleb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:41:46 -0700
Jeff,
My understanding of e-vaulting is storing the data off site as a
disaster
Recovery method rather than moving tapes back and forth. This saves the
Contracting company time and storage to physically pick up the tapes.
The data is backed up to their servers and stored, updated at a schedule
determined by you the customer.
I looked into this recently and the concerns we had was access to the
data, the idea that the data never goes away (on their
servers)regardless of what techniques are use to "scrub" the drives, and
the requirements to get the data to the vendor. We opted for backing up
the data and moving the tapes off site. To avoid the "hockey puck use"
and meet HIPAA/SOX concerns we store the tapes are in a locked
container, secured so only our employees have access to them. The case
is swapped weekly by our employees. This may be a unique situation since
we lease a "vault" for offsite storage at a facility near our main
location.

Thank you,
Lori McCaleb