Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:51:56 EDT
I strongly recommend the reading of this speech on _www.archives.gov_
(http://www.archives.gov) . It provides an excellent  thoughts on our profession and
ARMA's role. A few of his points and  comments::

Because of the effective efforts of over 3,000 NARA  employees across the
country, your ninth Archivist assumes leadership of a  confident and vigorous
independent agency. In this connection, I should  acknowledge in this audience a
number of important archivists and other  dignitaries, many of whom have been
helpful in introducing me to major issues  and counseling me on current
questions confronting NARA as I prepared--over the  last nine months--to stand
before you today. (Considering all the comments  made by ARMA, I don't understand
why they weren't in attendance I know we will  be meeting with the Archivist
this month. Certainly a significant  session).
As I said in the first message I sent to NARA  employees upon taking office
on February 16: "This is a critical juncture for  NARA. We live in a world of
imperiled budgets, increasing dependence on  electronic records and retrieval,
unprecedented security and preservation  concerns, and [profoundly]
insufficient attention to civic and democratic  education. To meet these and other
challenges, we must work cooperatively and  creatively." (What an open door
invitation to ARMA!)
When we at the National Archives and Records  Administration honor our basic
mission of preserving and assuring timely,  maximum access to the American
people of our governmental records, we help not  only to defend the continuing
liberties of our own citizens but we display for  the entire world an essential
component of a healthy democracy. Not the National  Archivist alone but all
who work for NARA are the designated custodians of  America's national memory.
Thus, when NARA hosts the International Council of  Archives meeting in
Washington, DC, next month, it will be playing not only an  important technical role
but a broadly philosophical role as well in welcoming  colleagues from abroad.
(We should hear something from ARMA as to its  involvement)
The first (plan)involves fulfillment of NARA's major  electronics records
initiatives, the Electronic Records Archive (ERA) but also  the Electronic
Records Management (ERM) initiative and related ones including  the continued
evolution of strategic directions for the Federal Records  Management initiative.
(NARA's publications have been a prime resource in  the evolvement of electronic
document management.)
I would be remiss on this celebratory occasion in not  pointing out the
leading educational role over the past decades played by the  National Historical
Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), not only in  making possible the
definitive editions of the writings of the Founders and  other great Americans
but in decentralizing the distribution of recognition and  reward among state
and local archivists, historians, social scientists, and  civic activists. In
my personal view, the recent decision in the 2006 budget to  de-fund and
dismantle NHPRC was an unfortunate mistake. Most respectfully, I  believe that
sober second thought will lead the OMB, the White House, and the  bipartisan
leadership of Congress to reconsider this action and restore this  vital program.
(As ARMA has clearly stated, write-ins are  important)
A word on access: mainly to reiterate what I stated at my Senate
confirmation hearing and in written questions prior to and following that  hearing. As
Archivist, I will enforce the laws regarding access to public  records at all
times and instances to the very best of my ability. Where  problems occur, it
will be my intention to pursue solutions (through dialogue  and persuasion if
possible) at the earliest possible  moment.
(A matter of vital concern to ARMA and its  members)

It is worthwhile reading.

Bill Benedon