From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:12:29 -0400
If anyone is interested in how we at GAO marked the 80th anniversary of
our agency and the 50th anniversary  of our headquarters, check out my
two articles on the web.  These first were posted in 2001.  At that
time, we still were known as the General Accounting Office.  Our name
changed to the Government Accountability Office in 2004.  I had many
interesting documents and photos to choose from in preparing these
anniversary articles.  I also prepared videos for our 75th anniversary
in 1996 as well as several exhibits in 2001.

See
http://www.gao.gov/about/history/splash.htm
for the overall history of the Government Accountability Office.

and

http://www.gao.gov/about/history/buildinghistoryindex.htm
for a history of the building.  I apologize if the formatting for the
latter is a bit off, one chapter of the article seems to have lost the
original paragraph formatting from 2001 when our web people redesigned
our site last year.  I recently noticed that and will have to ask to
have that fixed.   And the table of contents is a bit unwiedly, unlike
with the first article linked to above, you don't have the means to
choose between "next chapter" and back to the TOC.

BTW, my building history article first was posted on the 50th
anniversary of the dedication of our building - as it turned out, the
anniversary day happend to be -- September 11, 2001.

Maarja

Maarja Krusten
GAO Historian
Office of Quality and
     Continuous Improvement (QCI)

Here's something besides taxes to ponder on a Friday.

I heard on the radio this morning that McDonald's is celebrating their
50th birthday.  Did you know about this?  There's only a small bit of
info on the McDonald's website.  It seems to me, having seen Disney's
50th birthday commercials for the past year, that McDonald's would want
to advertise this milestone.  They could run old commercials -
"McDonald's is my kind of place," "Ronald McDonald & His Flying
Hamburger" and of course "You Deserve a Break Today."  Have a Ronald
McDonald reunion.  Things like that.  But other than the news article
this morning, I haven't heard anything!

Maybe they don't need the publicity.  Maybe someone dropped the ball in
promoting this.  Or maybe they didn't preserve enough records to
document their history.  This is just speculation, but I wonder how good
their RM program is...

So, let me ask you, fellow RM's.  When YOUR company (or government
agency) hits a milestone such as this, will you have preserved the
records that can document its history?  Yet, how do you recognize in a
fledgling company that your first purchase of Item X will be a
historical record someday?

Has Larry M been rubbing off on me?

Tim Barnard, Records Management Clerk
Harrison County, Mississippi