From:
Mark Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:54:29 -0400
Jim -

Unless I have missed something on a busy Monday, why limit the
anniversary to exhibits and publications?  Why not develop a full-blown
archival program to augment records management activities?  A corporate
archives, wherein the information contained in permanently valuable
records is managed (as opposed to being maintained as "neat old stuff")
can be used to leverage the Company's profile (long history of good
corporate citizenship, industry leadership, etc.).  In addition to
public relations value, the archival program will document decisions,
policies, procedures and so on as an integral part of Knowledge
Management (see the DM vs. RM thread).  While the anniversary may be the
catalyst for managing permanent records, the corporate archives will
prove itself of value over and over again.

The Hudson's Bay Company Archives, now part of the Provincial Archives
of Manitoba, was formed in London, England, in 1922 - two years after
the 250th anniversary of the founding of that company.  While a cultural
treasure, its documentation has been used in many different ways beyond
the fur trade - ranging from predicting weather cycles to settling
Native Land Claims.

You might wish to contact the Business Archives Section of the Society
of American Archivists for further information on the benefits of a
corporate archives.  The Chair is:

Laurie Baldacci
Gap Inc.
2 Folsom 14 Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104
(415)427-2720

Just my .02 (.016 CDN) worth.  My apologies if this idea has already
been put forward.

Cheers!

Mark

G. Mark Walsh, C.A.