From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:00:44 -0400
I haven't followed the records management List postings long enough to know how valid are the questions posted.  I have seen archivists post very basic questions on the Archives List, questions that on their face could easily be answered by looking at the Society of American Archivists website and available published sources.

Can I throw in another wrinkle, however?  Maybe we sometimes are jumping to conclusions in assessing questions.  Is everyone posting on this List and the Archives List in a position where they can tell their bosses, this is what the best practices are, and have the bosses say, OK, you're right, we'll do it your way?  Some people are lucky in that they can do that, but perhaps not everyone can.

Maybe there are some "lone arrangers" on the Archives List or some records managers  who deal with superiors who know little about best practices and who are difficult to persuade that their superior rank does not necessarily mean they know better.  It wouldn't happen often, but I can picture that there might be situations where someone may simply want to quickly post to a List, then print out and use List postings as a way to point to what other professionals say about an issue.  Perhaps there are situations where what they need is not readily covered in published guidance that their bosses would accept as credible and authoritative.  So they might use the List as an alternate means of quickly gathering third party advice and guidance.

Again, I wouldn't imagine that this happens often, but still, I would hate to discourage people who need to use such circuitous routes from posting questions.  If they are printing answers out for their bosses, they are unlikely to spell out their motives and explain the circumstances!  Larry makes a good point about how one frames questions, but even so, there may be some behind the scenes stuff going on ¯ not always, but occasionally ¯ that we readers don't know about.  At least that is the impression I have gotten from some Archives List queries, I leave it to you all to judge if it might apply ever on this List.

Maarja

--- Sharon Blackstock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> OK, I'll bite - just because you KNOW how to
> reinvent the wheel doesn't mean
> it's necessary if there are others out there who've
> done what you're looking to do.

Right... and rather than utilize the skills that you
must have demonstrated you've attained while reaching
a point where you apply for and are awarded (earn) a
CRM to locate that information, you might as well ask
others to share their lunch with you.

I mean after all, you're a CRM... so people should be
willing to tell you... of course, if you're a CRM, you
should already KNOW.

I'm not talking about the big and complex stuff here,
what I've seen asked are simple, run of the mill Part
I-V questions.  And I'm not going to waste time
searching for examples and provide them to you, but
I've discussed many of these with off-list seasoned
CRMs that I know personally who agree fully with me.
And no, I won't name them here either.

I mean, there were a few people who used to frequent
the list (under pseudonym) that would publicly fire
raspberries directly at the individuals who posted
these questions who were flying the CRM banner, but
they were frequently taken to the public woodshed for
their audacity to point out that the "Emperor had no
clothes".  I've never publicly made a comment wher one
of these posts from a CRM appeared, but I have
responded to them privately and asked if they REALLY
had a CRM, or if they just thought the initials were
cool and used them for fun =)

> That's how I view a lot of the questions on
> the Listserv that ask
> something like "Have any of you done this or that
> and how did you do it?" Is
> that what you're talking about, Larry?

A question of this type could be framed in a manner
that indicated the person asking knows of a manner to
do something they're asking about, but is looking for
alternative methods, or has applied the skills
developing something in one industry, but is new to
another industry and is looking for someone's input
that has done it there... but what most of us know is
if you're a skilled RIM Professional, you can apply
the practices and techniques you've learned in one
industry to most all others.

The other option you have as a CRM is to go to the
ICRM Listserv and ask the question there first, or
typically, if you have the level of experience you
should have by the time you earn a CRM, you should
havea pretty wide range of colleagues you can draw on.
 But how do you think it looks for a credential
carrying professional in a field to ask in a public
forum for the answer to a question that they should
know??

Don't you think it makes the credential look a little
less valuable?

PLEASE don't think this is intended as a broad-brush
whitewashing of the ICRM or ALL CRMs; I know many that
I feel are a cut above and really demonstrate on a
regular basis their knowledge and skills and they do
the designation AND the Profession proud, but there
are many who have passed the test, but don't
demonstrate that they have the necessary skills to
carry the credential.

To those individuals, I say "Here's Your Sign!"

Larry