From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:19:45 -0700
Interesting discussion and I like it! I've been thinking about what has been
said all morning as I had my wonderful, new commute from University Place
(near Tacoma) to Seattle (near Mars).

There are times when folks with the CRM designation ask some pretty
fundamental questions. There are times when someone like me, a CRM candidate
and 28 or so year veteran or the trenches asks really basic questions too.
Then of course there are those new to the field - and bless them - they have
found this listserv and they also ask basic questions too. Ok to the point -

Many folks work in a structure like mine where they are the records and
information management function. They, like me, have none of their "own
kind." Issues and problems come flying. The pace is full speed ahead without
regard to the kind of support or structure many of you (CRM or not) have. It
is a little more than easy to get so overloaded, so over whelmed that
whatever safety valve we have blows its lid. I remember asking this list
about warehousing and running an internal storage facility. I admit that is
not my specialty - I know about the high-level view, but not the details.
That was when my safety valve blew. We had an interesting discussion & I
along with many others learned much.

The world we work and live in is complicated. I really do not care what your
professional designation is, no one person no matter who they are knows
everything anymore.

And yes I will share - I've worked alongside several CRMs that have never
created a retention schedule. They understand the concepts, how to do the
work but have never actually written a schedule. I can create schedules in
my sleep. What does that say? Just that I have certain experiences and
others do not. Diversity is what makes the world turn. It is also what
facilitates learning.

So go out today and make it a great one.
Rock on!
Sharon

Sharon Burnett
Seattle Washington USA