From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:30:13 -0400
Thank you, Nina.  I suspected as much, sounds similar to Excite.  I
apologize for the somewhat garbled nature of my original message, I had
meant to write "incoming" in front of "e-mail messages" in describing
the CNN story on the Marine's family.

As to the IW, RW aspects of handling documents of senior federal
officials, see two GAO reports from the 1990s that looked at removal of
records by top government officials:

Report Number GGD-89-91, "Federal Records: Removal of Agency Documents
by Senior Officials Upon Leaving Office," copy at
http://archive.gao.gov/d26t7/139495.pdf
and
Report Number GGD-91-117 "Federal Records: Document Removal by Agency
Heads Needs Independent Oversight," copy at
http://archive.gao.gov/t2pbat7/144859.pdf

GAO noted in the second report one aspect of the RW:

"Current internal controls do not adequately ensure that government
records and information are properly protected because no independent
review of documents is made before they are removed. Reviews, if made at
al1, are done by subordinates who may not be able to effectively
challenge the decisions of departing agency heads. Having complete
records is critical to protecting government interests. We believe that
NARA should oversee agency heads' plans to remove documents and
determine whether their relinquishment and removal are consistent with
federal laws and regulations." (GGD-91-117, page 4)

Although the reports date back to a time when the questions mostly
centered on paper records, the enivornmental and contextual aspects
still may be of interest to you.

Maarja

Yahoo! e-mail can be set to save a copy of each outgoing message in the
SENT
folder, or not.  IIRC from when my account was new, the default is
NOT.

Happy Friday,

Nina

Nina M. Osier, Director