From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:44:26 -0400
IRON Mountain Admits Tape Loss, Recommends Encryption InternetNews.com -
USA ... but the admission comes on the heels of announcements from Bank
of America and Ameritrade that the financial firms had lost backup tapes
containing customer ...

<http://www.internetnews.com/storage/article.php/3499731
<http://www.internetnews.com/storage/article.php/3499731> >

I found it disturbing that the article did not mention any remorse or
concern for the loss of contingency backup for Iron Mountain's
customers.  What would Iron Mountain do if they are contacted by a
customer who had just suffered a catastrophic event and need their
backup tapes - and IM had lost them?  My ire is up, so I sent the
following e-mail to the author and InternetNews:

"As a Certified Records Manager, I am trained and responsible for the
full life cycle of records and information. My specialty happens to be
vital records protection and contingency planning.  In reading the
article on backup tape loss, I was appalled to realize that either Iron
Mountain or the author did not appear to be concerned about the loss of
contingency backups for their customers.  While identity theft is a
current major concern in the world today, an organization that suffers a
major catastrophe, only to find that their backup tapes cannot be
located, is in jeopardy of great financial loss.  By putting their
customers in this position and not acknowledging the fact during the
course of this article, Iron Mountain or the author exhibits
insensitivity and a disregard for integrity."

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division