From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:50:34 -0700
> Donald Skupsky has some great software detailing various record retention
> schedules...check it out through the ARMA website.

> >Does anyone happen to know of a good records retention program that we can
> install to our existing software to keep up with our retention schedules?  Any

A note of caution here. No one can develop retention chedulkes for an
organization unless they know what you do, who you're regulated by,
what your business practices are and what you want to achieve with
your records retention program.

This is not a simple "COTS" or "OOTS" situation.  While there are
commercvial products available that provide a basic framework that you
can build on, they all need to be vetted against your specific
requirements and level of risk tolerance and someone who determines
that within your organization needs to be involved in making the final
decision as to the reternion period you assign to records.

If you are ever in a situation where you are requested to provide
records for a legal action and you attempt to defend yourself by
saying  "Well, we destroyed those records because the ACME Software
Company said we could", don't expect Mr. ACME to take the witness
stand in your defense, no matter how much you pay for his software and
update service.

Additionally, as many have said here repeatedly, the requirement
(statutory, regulatory or legal) for retention is only one piece of
the equation... there's also the business needs and the consideration
of intrinsic, historic or enduring value that needs to be factored in.
And naturally, there's a need to consider any destruction moratoria or
legal holds imposed on the records prior to destruction.

No easy way out...

Larry