From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:16:20 -0700
>... is proposing to extend our records storage capacity by purchasing a
>set of reinforced fiberglass units similar to modular classrooms that many
>of you may have seen.  We are looking at several options, and I am concerned
>about off-gassing with this option,among other things.

EGADS... I saw a post related to the dreaded "off-gassing" topic and
was sure I had accidentally signed onto the WRONG LIST today!!  =)
But seriosly, depending on if you're intending on storing anything of
significant historic value that might be impacted by any by-products
of the construction materials in this extended capacity facility, I
wouldn't be too concerned about that... I'd be much more concerned
about the safety, security and fire protection in the unit/s.

If you're going to have no option other than to accept these units for
storage, look to shuffle your existing assets so that anything of
short retention periods and limited value you're storing would go into
these units, and make room to store your present and future higher
value assets in the primary facility.  I'm sure you have a volume of
administrative and/or other 6 year or shorter retention period records
that would be appropriate for storage in these units... again, this is
supposing you have no options.

The issues I'd ask about though are the safety of the units and their
ability to handle the floor loading, as well as the security against
break-in, either through the door, roof or floor of the units. These
are typically placed on a "false foundation" and could be subject to
collapse in an earthquake, or allow an area for someone to work under
to gain access to the contents through the floor and go undetected in
the process.  As a County, you may not be bound by the requirements
oif 36CFR for Records Storage Facilities, but if you are, take a look
at 36CFR, Subchapter B, Part 1228, Subpart K  for Facility
Construction Standards.

I'd also ask about the ability to provide proper fire suppression or
protection for the contents, and you may want to ensure they are
mindful of the potential of a large event due to the contents being
combustible.  For Fire Protection issues, you should consider
reviewing NFPA 232, "Standard for the Protection of Records".

> Do you have the option of climate control and ventilation in the modular unit?

I would consider this to be secondary to the safety, security and fire
protection. As mentioned earlier, you could manage this through the
proper separation of materials to ensure what's stored in this
environment to be something of very short term retention.

Larry