From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 17:01:06 -0700
I am hoping someone on the list could explain to me the difference in
mission between the US Government Printing Office (GPO) and the US
National Archives. Recently there was a reference on the "RAIN" list to a
GPO initiative to capture agency documents.  If the GPO is responsible for
capturing agency documents and making this information available to the
public how is that different from the National Archives' mission.  Is
there some overlap here?  Are we getting to the point where we have two
different agencies of the US government involved in preserving the
nation's archives?  Is the only difference here a matter of methods and
strategies or is there an important distinction that I am missing.

Any clarification/explanation of this would be most appreciated.

Dave Gaynon