From:
Michael Marchand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Marchand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 19:41:22 -0500
"after all, if BofA had encrypted the
> data on their tapes, they wouldn't have had anything to worry about =)"

Larry,

Glad you put a smiley face on this or we would have to examine your
sanity. Unfortunately many big company records managers are so smitten
with size that they choose companies like Iron Mountain because of
perceived "safety" while ignoring smaller companies who plow money and
resources into world class vault and asset tracking infrastructure.

From time to time we get contacted from large companies looking for a
bailout from Iron Mountain service failure...and they want someone
else to pay for it.

All you are seeing are the high profile cases. So far we've seen two -
I know of 3 more in Houston that are also big enough to make CNN.

My point here is - data storage companies have innate responsibity but
so do clients of data storage companies who are tasked with
researching vendors. I say don't dismiss the independents whose owners
are motivated to give excellent service.

Michael Marchand
VeriTrust - VP Operations