From:
"Michael, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 11:42:06 -0600
I see the question from Dave as being "Is there some overlap here?"
And, after looking at the links provided by PeterK, and reading the
response from Maarja, I believe the answer is yes.  And, we can add the
Library of Congress into the mix as well.

The purpose of the information is different, but some of the
information, when it finally arrives at these agencies, is the same.  So
yes, I would consider there to be information overlap.  A key difference
is that the information is considered to be records by NARA and the
originating agency and are not considered to be records by GPO. The
records document the business of the agency, and protect the rights of
the parties involved, and "document the national experience".  These
records are accessioned into the National Archives with an approved
records retention schedule.  Many of the same information products are
gathered by GPO and LoC for reference, sale, and reuse (no retention
schedule is involved).

At least, that's the way I see it...

Lee Michael, CRM
Records Program Manager