From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 13:58:17 -0700
Again, this points out the value for involvement by RIM in the practices of
IT, when it comes to the management of information assets.
 If people were to review the Draft ARMA Guideline for Physical Storage they
would see a number of questions related to the evaluation of a service
provider, before and after selection. Also, this is part of a successful
business continuity and vital records protection program, and while it's
primarily related to fire safety, it's included in Chapter 6 of NFPA232.
 I think that when everyone here selects a bank, a restaurant, a store, a
dry cleaner, a grocer, a school, a veterinarian, a hotel, a mechanic or any
other service provider in their personal life, they want to feel comfortable
about how well they conduct themselves in the "business of their business".
A can't think of one person that would walk into a random jeweler and drop
off a multi-carat diamond ring for repairs and expect that everything was
hunky-dory when they come back to pick up the ring. If you have no personal
knowledge of the jeweler's ability or honesty, or have no other point of
reference, I'd bet you wouldn't wait too long to have the stone checked.
 It's no different when you entrust your, or your organization's information
assets to an outside firm... do your homework, and make sure they're the
"real deal".
 Larry