From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:09:39 -0800
On 1/5/07, Marion wrote:

> in point of fact, you are rather the more mysterious
> one . . .
>
> why not educate members of the list as to your
> parameters and selection process? after all, isn't
> sharing our knowledge the goal here? so what's the big
> secret?

Wow... okay, so I've stayed out of this all day but what the heck is this
about anyway?

This is a "free zone", where people elect to share what they want, when they
want, and others can take it as it comes, or as Doug said before... do
further research if they want more info.

Peter posts RAIN, others post RAINdrips, occasionally others post links and
stories from other sources and some stuff gets put into one of the two Yahoo
Groups that were also setup gratis.

I can ALMOST see the griping about the possibly "skewed" content posted in
ARMA's Newswire, because the web site is in part paid for with members dues,
and some members don't care for the political leanings of some articles or
commentaries posted.  But this place belongs to no one, and everyone brings
to the table what they choose... it's sort of a pot luck, but even if
someone doesn't bring anything. they're STILL invited to eat.

If you come to a potluck and you're a vegetarian or vegan and there's
nothing you want to eat, or feel comfortable eating, then you can walk away
hungry.  But if you bring something yourself, there will always be SOMETHING
there for you.  Also, if you inform others that you have dietary
limitations, people always seem to be willing to attempt to accommodate
that... but you have to tell them that you can't eat wheat, you're allergic
to nuts, you don't eat meat, you can't tolerate dairy, etc.

To simply say "show me your cookbook, tell me what's in your pantry, and
then I'll tell you what you can fix for ME" is rather one sided.  The people
on the UK RM List used to complain about the volume of RAIN, but some of
them were on dial up and there was simply "too much food", it wasn't the
quality or selection that was bothering them.

My suggestion?  Set up a filter, send RAIN to the Trash bin, or simply
delete it if you find it not of value to you.  If you want something
different, set up Google Alerts with specific terms that "tickle your fancy"
like Jesse mentioned he does, and like I have for years... every now and
then I send a story to Peter and he asks "where the heck did you find THAT
one??"

Enough on this...

Larry

-- -- --