From:
"Grevin, Frederic" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:30:53 -0500
The hitch, as several persons have already implied, is if your
microfiche have NOT been properly processed and/or stored.

If the image quality allows for it, you might scan the microfiche into a
raster image format and then send those images back to a reliable COM
service bureau. This will also give you the opportunity to change the
microfilm format to roll film (maintaining order in large quantities of
microfiche, for long periods of time, is a nightmare).

I discourage using electronic formats for records that you have to keep
50 years. The only certainty about electronic formats is the rapid
turnover of all parts of the systems, from file formats to operating
systems to applications.

Best regards.

Fred.
Frederic J. Grevin
Director, Records and Archives Management The City of New York
Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
59-17 Junction Blvd., 11th floor
Flushing, NY 11373-5108
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (718) 595-4372