From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 15:38:07 -0400
Awareness of what new technology can do is always beneficial.  Actually
using them is also beneficial in our profession.  I started my career in
RIM from the technology side - the "other" technology - micrographics.
Way back when 8-) microfilm was considered too controversial, too
complicated, too techy, too different from paper to succeed in the RIM
world.  Well -- it succeeded and then was surpassed by the next new kid
on the block.  It is human nature to want the new, shiny, spinny,
go-fast and those that run business or government are going to want to
implement the latest and greatest where budgets allow.

We need to be aware of RIM implications, how the new will work with or
supplant the old, and how to reconfigure our RIM business rules to adapt
to and accept the new.  We can make all the rules in the world to force
the new to conform to rules made for the old, but the truth is we have
to reconfigure our rules.  It is never ending.  The secret to success is
to weed out the only trendy or faddy new (8 track tape anyone?) from the
truly useful new.  This is where awareness and a grounding in good RIM
basics are helpful in seeing potential.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager