From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 11:09:31 -0400
On 5/17/07, Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> John,
>
> Why would you just put ANYTHING into the survey answers ?  How do you
> expect the survey results to be representative if you didn't provide
> accurate/honest answers.

you are forced to provide an answer that is why you put anything down.
the survey IMHO is not well designed. it lacks key information for
correlation such as job position, industry, years in profession, role
in company.Questions were poorly worded and was not sure if I was
answering as an RM, user or what. I found myself trying to answer
questions yes or no, but really would have preferred to answer not
applicable, or unknown. that would have provided more accurate and
honest answers.

> If you don't like the way the survey is worded/set-up don't take it !!! In
> the future please don't destroy the credability of a complete survey if
> you don't like the way it's structured

This survey is a point in time and reflects only the opinions of those
who answered the survey. We don't know what industries it represents,
what positions within an organization, years in the RM profession,
etc. and it is not IMHO proper to compare this year's results to
previous years results since the answering population is not the same.

for the survey to be valid from year to year it should  be constructed
by a polling company and should be sent to a representative
population. This population should include members of IT, RIM, Legal,
and C-level management, members of ARMA, AIIM and possibly SAA.

what is the purpose of the survey? is it to take the pulse of
electronic records management from year to year? If so then construct
a proper survey. provide for cross-correlation. allow for deeper
analysis. for example a good survey would  with cross-correlation say
something like "Survey results show that RM believes X while IT mgrs
believe Y." that is not possible with this survey.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va