From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 14:34:56 -0700
Greg is looking for a term; not so much a process.   The term
"accession" or "accessions" ..., which is what Greg mentioned in his
note, is the term I remember and the ones we used during my first decade
in RIM...; when paper and film systems were the predominant media, and
for which most of our processes were designed.  As far as the industry,
the first few years for me were with a large university system, and the
next twelve after that were with a fortune 100 energy company.  During
the paper and film era, we used those terms in both organizations; both
industries.  It was also commonly used during ARMA meetings and
seminars.  File series was also used a lot, although that commonly
referred to common-function files filed in the same system in offices.
It could also be used for those same files if transferred to a records
center.

During my subsequent 15 years in the RIM business, that term is not
used much since the predominant RIM paradigm has become electronic.
With the media the terminology has changed.

Greg is looking for different terms, but "accession" is the one I knew
from the paper and microfilm/fiche era of RIM.

Bill Benedon, CRM, what say you?

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

On 5/21/07, Greg Schildmeyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Thanks for the responses so far.  Let me clarify my request.
>
> I'm looking for a noun.  A name for the group of 8 boxes of records
that:
> 1. are all in the same records series
> 2. closed in the same time period and hence have the same destruction
date
> 3. are being stored in the storage facility together as a group.

I guess the private sector operates differently. Most CRC randomly
assign the boxes to individual slots. When I had an in-house records
center we would place boxes in the first available open slot. If we
needed to pull all 8 the system knew where they were. The same with
destruction. The destruction report would list these 8 boxes as well
as any other boxes with the same destruction date. yes you could run
an inventory report that says there are 8 boxes of FY06 Inspection
Records

But an unique name? not really sure one exists. nor one would need a
name.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va