From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 14:44:07 -0700
On 5/21/07, Greg Schildmeyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to ask for the collective wisdom of the list to help me find
> descriptive word for a records management concept.
>

> What would you call a group of closed files in a records series that are
> ready to be - or are being - stored together for their prescribed
> retention
> period?
>

> For instance, a records custodian sends you, the Records Manager, a
> transmittal form for approval that says he/she has 8 boxes of closed FY06
> Inspection Records to ship to the commercial or company-owned records
> storage facility for retention.  What term do you use to refer to that
> group
> of 8 boxes?

Inactive, retired, etc all refer to the status of the records, they don't
provide any identifying information.

I'm not sure about assignig a "Transfer ID" unless for sem reason, you don'
twant any identifying information on the records cartons aor the transmittal
and need a secondary identifier.

Block, accession, or (my favorite too, Steve) is File Series. All of these
records serve a single function and belong to the same record series, the
fact that the files "closed" following FY06 assists in establishing the
required retention period and determining when they are eligible for; and
will require approval for, destruction.

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA