From:
Carrie Fager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:43:24 -0500
Larry,
   I appreciate that you meant no disrespect and that Katrina and Rita
provided lessons the hard way.  I also respect Virginia and her efforts
over the years (especially on this topic).

What I was trying to convey is that even agencies over 70 miles away
could not deal with the demand the event put on them (even with
technology).  Their records were fine, they had back ups.  What they
didn't have is manpower to deal with the volume of requests.

Another issue that everyone needs to take into serious consideration is
whether or not the other offices that may have copies will still have
what they need and will be able to process their request in a timely
fashion.  There were more than a few agencies that in the process of
initiating their COOP plan they "shut down" non-essential functions to
address their core recovery functions.  What is essential to one, may
not be essential to another.

I too hope that people everywhere have taken the time to think about
what would happen to their organization if a regional disaster befell
them.  You're right, many disasters don't have seasons.  In the case of
New Orleans, it was the failure of man-made structures that caused the
bulk of the damage.  The next time your organization is doing risk
assessments, resist the temptation to say that could never happen here.

I know that Steve "hates paper" and that technology is applicable in
most situations.  However, I'd like to mention that there are some
"vital records" that require the original or certified copies with
raised seals to prove authenticity.  More than a few learned that lesson
the hard way.   Steve is right that personal dispersal of your family's
vital records is very important.  If everyone in your family lives near
you, find someone in another state that you trust and give them copies.

Carrie Fager, CRM
Records Management
Louisiana State Archives
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Phone: (225) 925-7552
Fax: (225) 922-1220

(Again, these views are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of
my family nor my employer).