From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:39:57 -0400
David,

Answers below:

Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh, PA

-----Original Message-----
From: McLallen, David [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [RM] Witnessing destruction

A sort of mini-survey, regarding purge policies involving outside
vendors:

When you have them pull the boxes for purging, do you then go to their
site and ascertain that they have pulled the proper boxes?

I retreive the boxes to be destroyed from our storage vendor as a
regular records retrieval, then verify them myself, then call our
destruction vendor and have them destroyed from our location. Then I
contact the storage company to have them taken out of their system. This
option may not be viable for larger organizations, but for our size (180
people) it is "do-able".

Do you insist on being present for the shredding or do you entrust your
vendor and trust their certificate of destruction as proof that they
have followed your directions?

Sometimes our destruction vendor brings a truck that shreds them on
site. Sometimes they just take them. I do not go with the truck and
watch the destruction at their facility. I take their certificate of
destruction (stamped and signed by a notary public) as proof that they
have done what they were supposed to do the way they were supposed to do
it. Vetting of their processes was done before I contracted them to do
the work.

Does anyone have any horror stories you'd care to share about purging?
At this point, I don't have any, but I have always been insistent about
personally verifying each step of the process.  Am I justified in doing
so, or am I just being my normal anal self?

David R. McLallen
Information Technology/Records Management P.O. Box 471 Boulder CO 80306
303-413-7788
Fax: 303-441-3983

This email is sent on 100% unused paper.

Please help promote sustainability by not printing this email.

Contact [log in to unmask] for assistance To unsubscribe
from this list, click the below link. If not already present, place
UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.