From:
Gordon Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:03:46 -0500
Jamie --

That's an excellent description of your predicament.  I feel your pain.

May I suggest a perspective from the business world that may be of
help?  My only consulting experience in Higher Education has been for
Content Management, not RIM or archiving.  So if this thought is useful,
use it; if it does not apply, chuck it.

It seems to me that part of the problem is organizational.  The attorney
is acting as a Lone Ranger, and the other authorities are uncoordinated.

In business, we would call for a RIM coordinating committee, steering
council, task force, etc.  It is important to get buy-in from all
stakeholders and to get them coordinated (and speaking the same
language.)  That would include leaders from Administration, IT, Finance,
General Counsel, Operations, Compliance, and others.  Together we would
define the RIM goals, responsibilities, criteria for success, governance
and budget.  Then, while the RIM administrator fulfills the mission, the
others all bear some responsibility, and they are more likely to support
the program.

Getting a consultant as you describe is a fine idea.  But since you need
a sustainable, evolving program, getting your colleagues on board is
essential.  Otherwise, whatever consultant recommendations get
implemented will fade and some of the existing issues will return.

This isn't the whole solution, but I thought the business perspective
might be useful to you.  I've been to the Augustana campus a couple of
memorable times, and I wish you the best of luck.

Gordy Hoke
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
http://gejhoke.googlepages.com
(T) USA 507.534.2293