From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 11:08:51 -0400
The bill says "Under the proposal, companies will instead need a user's express opt-in consent to knowingly collect sensitive information about them, including such sensitive information relating to a user's medical records, financial accounts, Social Security Number, government-issued identification, and precise geographic location information"

Looks nice, but we can expect to be abused the same way we are taken to the cleaners on current required legalese acceptance click-throughs. On most Web sites or license agreements your choice is to:

1. Read the entire agreement before you accept/decline - "click here"
(Most agreements are WAY too long for you to read or understand them - like when you are about to buy something or install something and just need to get on with your work or life! The legal community has totaled sold out the public on this issue in favor of getting fees from the technology vendors)
2. Accept playing the game their way or you are out of the game - software license, Web site, etc.

Not much choice. You notice that even with third parties the bill says: "The proposal addresses concerns about the practice of third-party advertisers who collect information about users and then build a profile and target ads based on that profile."

It will be easy for Web site operators to use run-arounds like simply offering two levels of service:
1. Limited access - without opting into third parties' junk email dumps and data collections
2. Full access - you open yourself to the same old abuses.
Then there will be lots of "testimonials" about how great full access is.

I think the bills will help if by only drawing attention to the issue. But in the end it seems to me we are simply going to have to let the market define itself. Vendors will notice when more people visit sites for basic information when they feel secure against privacy invasions.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com