From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:27:49 -0700
Hello to every one,

The article and comments remind meabout the one point - Disaster management and preparedness.
Fred said and asked: "Should records be stored in a basement?"
I think that it is common practise and possibly it is logical that the heavy stuff could not be placed on the floor.
Last week one fellow asked question about engineering records - I think he knows better what weight it possible to load on the floor, and what are the specific recommendations regarding the paper from engineering and fire prevention points of view.
Also, when we are talking about where to place the in-active records -we mention about off-site.
What does it mean off-site  in some cases it is out of active area.
If the organization decides that it is convenience to keep records as close to active area as possible - what is wrong in it.

Another point -it is does not matter heavy rain or snow decides to melt according to weather - does the the facility have the proper equipment -water alarm, for example.
Does water alarm and water pump work automatically and have reserve power .
When last time the system has been checked.
I know stories when organizations that have security 24/7 on side cancel the basement from their rote in order to save money, and when the water pipe, that by the way comes from the ground directly to the basement first, exploded on Saturday, the flooding in the basement was not noticed until Monday - If somebody asks how come, I can answer that the Records Centre is located on B2 level, and the main computers on the B!. The flooding did not affect the computers, other stuff - who cares.

i hope that my thought would not be used by cloud computing people - by the way, where organizations keep their heavy computer equipment???

Respectfully,

Alex Babin

PS. I checked the spelling, hope that no non pleasant shorts come.