From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:35:28 -0400
Yuck. I am not eating an elephant. Even a 60 lb elephant, unless it is basted with a lot of barbeque sauce and served up by a good chef. Even then, I will be careful what I carve into.

Since we have few examples of individuals filing and retaining email responsibly due simply to the volume that overwhelms them, I think email management is most successful when it is served up by a chef (a well planned email management system) and the relevance of email for retention is identified early with filters and rules (the sauce). Even then, each user should be careful what they carve into and use.

Email virus checks, phishing filters, and initial business relevance filters all help manage risk and volume. Each user needs to do their part in assessing actual records value. Then maybe we can eliminate 90% of it as less valuable over time. The systems, the overall policies, specific retention rules, and user participation all need work together with a lot of RM oversight. It is everyone's responsibility to work together on this. Senior level RM Advisory Committees with IT, Legal, and business users are the way to start. RM must make a good convincing business case with management for this to begin.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com