From:
Kelly Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:32:43 -0500
I was thrilled to see this article in The Economist:

--The article, I believe, was easy to understand.  It didn't use a lot of techno-
speak.

--The article gave real-world examples that anyone could relate to.  The
example of the fear that Bank of America felt when hearing about an
announcement of a bank's laptop in Wikileaks' possession brings the content
management problem to a level the reader can identify with.

--The article referenced AIIM, and not just vendors.  I like vendors, but the
article went a step ahead and tracked down a professional organization that
deals with content management.  I don't think I've seen that before in a
publication that wasn't information management-oriented already.

--The Economist is more of a mainstream publication that can get the
message out.  Sure, it's easy for us information professionals to talk amongst
ourselves, but when there's a chance that MY senior management might have
read that article and gotten an 'aha!' moment, I'll take it!

We can try to get the message out, but we're like the squeaky wheel (or
maybe that's just how it feels sometimes).  When mainstream magazines talk
about the problems in a way that management can relate to it (like the Coca-
Cola trade secret in the photograph), that's when someone important will have
that 'aha!' moment.  I'm wishing I could get a copy of that magazine with a
sticky-note at the article that says 'READ ME!' into the executive washrooms.

Kelly Hamilton
Records Analyst
Phoenix, AZ, USA