From:
Robert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:01:44 -0300
Yes that would be a good beginning source because in the former commonwealth countries, records was a unit under the Archives but it is not the legal retention periods that are the real problem, because like many SE Asia countries, this covers only about 10 - 20% of the company's records.  Also, what I learned is there is no single source, you have to go to each government department that pertain to specific records.  For example:   Companies Act, Income Tax Act, Limitations Act, Evidence Act, Employment Act to name a few, are laws that apply but are administered independently by different government departments.  It is the other 80% of the records that make good business, cost effective or administrative sense.  That is the challenge, here is where records managers,  administration, legal and accountants get involved. Also, most companies in SE Asia are multiple/international, dealing with numerous countries in the area, so you see how complex it can be.
That is why there is no simple answer or source. Unlike North American, I am not aware of any vendor (Skupsky, Zasio) that has spent significant amounts of money to offer a retention service.

Robert
Dr. Robert L. Bailey, CRM, MIT