From:
"Holly, Debi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:07:14 -0500
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and occasional question asker...

I'm looking for any information on requirements for managing structured data (i.e. databases).  I've started to compile a list, but I'm not as knowledgeable about databases as I need to be and I'm sure I've overlooked something that may be important.  I've looked for information on the listserv archives, but am striking out.  Has anyone already put together some requirements for their IT group for choosing a tool that they would be willing to share?  Of course I'm under a time crunch - so any information you can share would be very appreciated.

I'm including some of the requirements I've come up with - to show you they type of info I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone for your help!

*	Safely archive and remove precise subsets of rarely used data from complex relational databases with 100 percent accuracy,
*	Preserve the referential integrity and business context of the data even for the most complex data model,
*	Intelligently index archived data to ensure fast retrieval,
*	Selectively delete data to retain relevant contextual information in the production database and remove only specific subsets,
*	Preview the data after it is archived and before it is deleted from the production database to prevent deleting data inadvertently,
*	Store archived data on a variety of alternative storage mediums and keep it "active" for easy access when needed,
*	Quickly locate, browse and manage specific archived data no matter where it is stored,
*	Selectively restore referentially intact subsets of archived data in a single step. (It should not be necessary to restore large amounts of data for the sake of a few rows),
*	Accommodate current and future archiving needs across applications, databases, operating systems and hardware platforms.
*	Manage all structured data regardless of application storage method using IBM Records Manager
*	Manage data annually or based on events as required by retention schedule
*	Archive data requiring long term storage due to retention requirements
*	Data should be fully searchable for litigation or audit purposes
*	Data should be able to be put on hold for litigation or audit purposes
*	Security for data should be assigned based on work requirements
*	Data should be purgable once retention is met
*	Seamless access to archived data from original application and alternative methods (reporting, search)
*	Support for preservation of data in read-only, immutable format
*	Maintain referential integrity (even for the most complex data models)
*	Broad application support, including support for custom and legacy applications
*	Broad relational database support (sql, db2, oracle)
*	Ability to restore archived data
*	Seamless integration with backup software

Debi Holly
Records and Information Management Analyst
"Small Effort, Big Difference"

Records and Information Management | 512-453-4272 Office | 512-284-2035 Mobile | 512-453-0899 Fax | 7951 Shoal Creek Blvd, 3rd floor, Austin, TX 78757 | Mail Code TX-AU-SH-PMG