From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 19:25:03 -0700
Hello Samantha,

Believe me, moving an archives  is very interesting task.
I'm not laughing at you.
I did it few times in my life, the first was regional archives with about 40.000 boxes, the second time was moving out, returning back and again records centre with 9.000 boxes * about 8.000 from the offices, last one occurred week ago, but it was only about 150 metres of active files.

First of all, start from the floor plan.
Check the configuration of your current repository and the new one - good spots, bad spots, places that are easily acceptable and not so.
Prepare table / listing that includes name of records series, their extensions, will you have new additions to existing records series or not. Pay attention what shelves are used now for different records series and how often the records are requested.
You mentioned that you are new in this position, but maybe e you have some stats from previous manager, or your co-workers can indicate you about.
It is possible that the records that are not required very often are located in the spots that are not comfortable  - bottom one, top one, back corner., and the records series that are important  - Manager, let say, are located in good spots.
Check for security - may be confidential records are located somewhere...see above.
what indexes do you have,, what finding aids do you have - everything can help you.

Next step - when you know what do you have and how you will locate it, start to map current location and the new one.

I used relocations as good point to concentrate in new location  the records that were placed in different spots before.

Movers should know where the records from shelf "1"  should be unloaded.
Make their life easy
In my last move I did simple table -

Records Series  Current address   New address

Movers know their job and everything was taken out and placed back with one small issue.

By the way, the 40000 boxes from Regional Archives was relocated by our own team of archivists during three months, and we were able to provide service, not on regular basis, but records were not acceptable only when they were on truck for 2 hours run.

Next important point is how the boxes will be loaded on the platform.

Because I made decision how to do it and right of signage on the check, movers had no choice but to follow me - I put the boxes on the skit by reverse order - every time the box that should go first on the shelf was first on the top, and not on the bottom, as movers like to do - the are paid by time spent
When I moved archives, I used wood skits that can care 24 boxes - 4 by 6 - we and limitations by weight of the boxes and by size of elevator - from Basement2 of the building to the ground floor - no direct access for carrier, only back rump of the car.

Of course, amount of boxes you put on the "skit' depends on type of records - boxes, maps, photo collection, large size records - ephemera, drawings, advertising, makets, sculptures of previous managers,...

Check the labels on the current boxes, or use markers to number all boxes in range and make inventory - boxes ## -current location - New location- send out -arrived -placed.
It will help you in case somebody from the DDOT will call and say that they need  something...- at least you will know where the box that contains that something is now.

Forgot to mention another important thing - politics - Prepare letter from your Boss to All about your move and possible changes in Service delivery - Good Customer Relation, and send it also to all possible outside clients that you aware of about their existence.

Prepare additional empty  boxes for re-boxing in case some boxes are broken.

And make pictures - it will help you to keep the History of your Archives alive -
Department of Transportation that moves Millions, now moves its own Records.

Good Luck,

Don't forget about personal safety issues, it is also very important.

Regards,

Alex Babin